October is Careers in Construction Month!
Did you know?
- Michigan will need an estimated 9,000 new construction employees each year.
- The gender wage-gap in construction is much lower than other industries. Women earn 95.7% as much as men in construction, 14% more than the average across all industries.
- Entry-level construction laborer jobs in West Michigan require no formal education and the median wage for this occupation is $17.14 per hour.
West Michigan employers are hiring now, and a career in construction can offer a wealth of opportunity. The 2020 Hot Jobs List, which highlights the fastest growing, most in-demand careers in West Michigan, includes 20 occupations within the construction and energy industry with median wages ranging from $17.14 to $55.77 per hour.
Is the construction industry right for you?
- Do you enjoy making repairs (painting, fixing appliances, etc.)?
- Does it give you satisfaction to see the result of your work?
- Do you enjoy math and solving technical problems/puzzles?
- Do you like to work or play outside, even in cold and hot weather?
- Can you work at heights or in confined spaces? Are you safety conscious?
If you can answer yes to some of these questions, a career in construction could be a good fit for you.
Meet local construction employers and learn more about construction careers at the Virtual Construction Job Fair.
The virtual job fair allows job seekers interested in the field to speak directly to hiring managers with local construction companies. Register for a 15-minute phone call to discuss their job opportunities and share your skills and experience.
The job fair will occur on Thursday, October 29 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Job seeker registration is open until 5pm on Sunday, October 25. You can view participating employers, their job openings and register at jobs.westmiworks.org/construction-job-fair.