Need to file for unemployment? Looking for a new career? Interested in job-training opportunities? West Michigan Works! can support you throughout the process of searching for, applying for and getting a job. Ready to visit? Here are some recommendations to make the most of your trip!
- Bring personal identification. Bring your state ID/drivers’ license and social security cards and with you. Additionally, some employers require state ID/drivers’ license numbers on applications. (Listing wrong numbers can cause a hold-up in receiving unemployment benefits.)
- Have access to a detailed work history. If you are seeking unemployment benefits, you will need a list of employers and dates of employment to file a claim. Write it down on a notepad, type it in an email or save it on your phone so you can access it from the service center. This can also help you build a resume, if you don’t already have one.
- Have a resume? Bring it with you. One of the first steps in finding new employment is creating a Pure Michigan Talent Connect account and uploading a resume to your profile. You can use a computer at the service center to create a digital version of your resume if you don’t already have one. Uploading your resume is also a part of the unemployment claim process and required to receive benefits.
- Be ready to work. Be prepared to answer questions that will assess your interests and skills to match you with a job that is a good fit for you. Expect to search and apply for multiple positions that interest you. Finding a job is like having a job. The more work you put in, the better the results!
- Dress like you would for an interview. West Michigan Works! regularly hosts hiring events with local employers who have current openings. You never know when a job opportunity might present itself. Be ready to meet potential employers any time you visit a service center by dressing interview-ready.