Please note the following changes to the unemployment process in response to COVID-19.
Until further notice:
- West Michigan Works! has cancelled non-essential services such as workshops, orientations, hiring events and other group activities.
- All unemployment claims can currently be filed online at Michigan.gov/UIA or by calling 1-866-500-0017.
- You are NOT required to report in person at Michigan Works! to register for work.
There are two steps to filing for unemployment insurance. Your first step is to apply for unemployment insurance. Your second step is to register for work.
What you’ll need to register for work
- A photo ID
- Social security card
How to register for work
Complete your Pure Michigan Talent Connect profile online from any computer.
To complete your PMTC profile:
- Visit mitalent.org
- Click on Create Account
- Choose Job Seeker
- Complete profile
- Go to your email to activate account
- Log back into PMTC to complete final page.
Regardless of where you complete your profile, you must visit a service center to complete the process. At the service center, let a West Michigan Works! staff member know that you’ve completed your MiTalentConnect profile. They will review your profile and give you a stamped form 1222 “Notice to Register for Work,” verifying that the process is complete.