Unemployment rates have gone from historic lows to highs over the last month because of business closures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, some businesses are seeing an increase in demand and are in need of workers NOW. If you need additional income during a layoff, consider temporary employment.*
Here are five reasons to consider a temporary job:
- Temporary work can be a great opportunity to develop new skills.Or it can open the door to an industry you hadn’t considered. You can also use the opportunity to sharpen your current skill set. Many staffing companies provide training to their temporary workers.
- You’ll meet new people. Whether or not you get a permanent position, you’ll leave the job with new personal and professional connections. An expanded network can only improve future opportunities.
- A temporary job can provide much-needed structure and purpose to your day. If you are physically healthy and able, a job might help your mental health and bank account right now.
- Temporary employment can lead to permanent employment. A good work ethic and positive attitude will capture any employer’s attention. Treat every day like an audition; if the employer is looking to hire full-time, you’ll be a front-runner.
- “A” job is better than “no” job. A temporary job beats a large gap in employment history on your resume. Many recruiters and employers will see your temporary work as a positive sign of your ambition and work ethic.
If you’re looking for work, check out our Weekly Hot Jobs list for currently available temp positions and more!
*West Michigan Works! encourages everyone to follow the CDC’s recommendation for social distancing both during and outside of work hours.